Dick’s has been a local treasure for close to a century, ever since Ricardo “Dick” Checci opened a bar and lunchroom in 1934, right after Prohibition ended and everyone was in the mood for a drink. The lunchroom was in the back, where the pinball machine and dartboards now reside, and then, as now, the bar was up front and center.
A former logger, Dick wanted the bar to be a welcoming, neighborhood place, and it remains so today, serving good, strong drinks to locals and visitors alike in a warm, convivial atmosphere. The décor is nostalgic and comfortably cluttered, from the Giants memorabilia to the miniature model of Dick’s Place to the bumper sticker in the window stating, “So few Richards, so many Dicks. But only one Dick’s Place, Main Street, Mendocino”. This is true.